Dog Trainer Apprenticeship Program
The PAWS Training Group’s Dog Training Apprenticeship Program will prepare you to help people through home appointments, private sessions, training camps, and fostering dogs. You will learn to work with dogs who exhibit signs of aggression, reactivity disorders, anxiety, and severe adolescent behaviors. You will work one-on-one with each of these dogs and learn to apply numerous techniques to modify and manage their behaviors using scientifically proven methods.
Prerequisite is the PAWS Training Group’s Obedience Instructor Apprenticeship program or equivalence.
What is included in the program?
This program is 150 hour long program. The curriculum and experience is broken down into the following categories (experience in each category will differ with scheduled appointments)
- Home appointments
- Training camps
- Foster dogs
- Boarding dogs
- Day training camp dogs
When you graduate this program, you will be able to:
- Assess behavioral issues
- Know the difference between aggression, reactivity disorders, and anxiety
- Know how to prevent aggression, reactivity disorders, and anxiety
- Formulate a behavior modification plan based on the client’s specific needs
- Handle dogs who are reactive, aggressive, and fearful
- Have a working knowledge of canine body language
- Problem solve behavioral issues and give a diagnosis when applicable
- Have knowledge of many different training tools, and when to recommend/use them
- Keep proper files on clients and their dogs
- And much more!
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
- Ability to talk & work in front of a room full of peers, students, clients, mentors, and other trainers
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to learn about dogs, behavior, communication, and teaching skills
- Be punctual!
- Be passionate!
- Have a clean appearance
- Have a flexible schedule to allow for home appointments
- Have excellent and friendly service-oriented personality with all types of people
- Be healthy and physically fit to handle large strong dogs
- Have a minimum of a high school diploma
- Be comfortable around all breeds and sizes of dogs, no breed snobs!
- Be trainable and open to suggestion.Just because you saw it on television and read it in a book, doesn’t mean it works!
- Have good observational skills and good timing
- The ability to stay calm in a stressful situation (you can fall apart later)
- Not be frightened easily (remember, dogs feed off of us)
- Willingness to recognize and quickly handle potentially dangerous situations between dogs and people
- Be computer savvy with email, Microsoft Word and Excel, & calendar programs
- Have reliable transportation
- Committed and dependable!!
- Bonus points for :
- Previous experience training dogs or your own dog,
- Video making & editing,
- Website management,
- Writing ability
- Drawing ability
Upon graduation of The PAWS Training Group’s Dog Training Apprenticeship Program, you will receive a certificate for Dog Training allowing you to go on home appointments as a representative for PAWS. In compliance with the non-compete that you must sign at the start of your program, you will be contracted to remain employed with The PAWS Training Group for the period of One year. After a year’s time, in compliance with the non-compete, you may use your experience to continue helping others in any way you would like.
The tuition price for The Dog Training Apprenticeship Program is $800.
$400 due on the day of enrollment, followed by a total of 2, $200 consecutive monthly payments starting on the second month of enrollment. We accept cash, check, or credit cards (2.7% fee applied for processing).
Please contact Shari to set up a pre-enrollment interview.
If you would like to enroll in both the Obedience Instructor Apprenticeship Program and the Dog Training Apprenticeship Program, the tuition fee for both programs will be $1500, saving you $100.